Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Five days left???

I will be at my secondary site through the week before Thanksgiving, but because I only go twice a week that means that after today I only have five days left on site.  I asked my supervisor what she'd like me to focus on first.

She's been sending carts of (ancient) books to the science department to have them evaluate whether we should keep them, discard them, or look for more current books on those topics.  They have, thus far, decided we should discard every title we've sent over.  In terms of print resources, what they want are books where a scientist (or journalist covering a scientist) reports on the process they go through to discover something rather than books on specific topics like genetics or disease.  When they have students research, they primarily use databases or other online sources.  So my next project will be to put together a buy list of those types of books.  It should be a little tricky (or just involve reading LOTS of reviews).

I'm finding that, because of the high academic standards at this school, many of the "YA" resources are just too basic to meet students needs.  The adult nonfiction often fits better (though I try to find both), but I have to be pretty careful about reading the reviews to be sure the titles are appropriate.

The reaction of the library support staff to our weeding progress makes me smile.  In my collection development course we discussed how people didn't like to weed, but this is my first experience with someone who really just likes to keep books.  I think, though, that keeping all these ancient, outdated, SERIOUSLY dusty books on the shelves does the students and disservice, though, because it creates the illusion of a complete library collection when the reality is that the usable collection is about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the entire collection.  Is it really better to have a 60 year old book on dna on the shelves than no book at all?  I'm inclined to think it is not, and the circulation data agrees with me.  So far, none of the titles I've pulled from the shelves have circulated since the library adopted the Destiny system in 2001. 

I've been thinking about different school library environments and where I'd like to end up.  While I enjoyed the students in the elementary library and the days, while busy, had a nice structure to them, I really prefer the energy of the high school library.  Because that's where I have teaching experience, I find it easier to relate to the other teachers and feel like I have more to offer them as a collaborative partner.  Of course, the reality is I may not find any openings in any school libraries anywhere near my home, and since I'd prefer to be part-time it's very likely I won't end up employed as a "real" librarian any time soon.  Still, you never know.

I wanted also to mention the "Virtual Vikings."  This is a group of students with computer skills that my supervisor is training to help teachers and students with technology.  Dr. L would LOVE this group--it's exactly what he advocated as his "geek squad."  When they aren't in classrooms or computer labs assisting with technology, the students are working on their website and a "promotional video" describing what they do.  It's going to be cool; I'll have to put the video here if they finish before I'm done with my fieldwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment